Willie Mae’s Scotch House is a legendary restaurant in New Orleans known for its mouthwatering fried chicken. Willie Mae Seaton, the founder, mastered the art of frying chicken to perfection, creating a recipe that has stood the test of time. If you’re looking to recreate the magic of Willie Mae’s in your own kitchen, look no further! We’re here to share the best and easiest Willie Mae’s Chicken recipe.
– 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon paprika
– 1 tablespoon garlic powder
– 1 tablespoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a shallow dish, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or Dutch oven to 350°F (175°C).
3. Dredge each chicken piece in the flour mixture, making sure it is evenly coated.
4. Shake off any excess flour and carefully place the chicken in the hot oil, skin side down.
5. Fry the chicken for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until it is golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
6. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oil and place it on a wire rack or paper towels to drain any excess oil.
7. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help the juices redistribute and keep the meat tender and juicy.
8. Serve hot and enjoy the crispy, flavorful goodness of Willie Mae’s fried chicken!
Now that you have the recipe for the best and easiest Willie Mae’s Chicken, it’s time to address some common questions:
Q1. Can I use boneless chicken for this recipe?
A1. Yes, you can use boneless chicken breasts or thighs instead of a whole chicken. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Q2. Is it necessary to marinate the chicken before frying?
A2. Willie Mae’s recipe doesn’t require marination, but marinating the chicken in buttermilk for a couple of hours can add extra tenderness and flavor.
Q3. Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
A3. Vegetable oil is the traditional choice for frying chicken, but you can use peanut oil or canola oil as well. Just make sure it has a high smoke point.
Q4. How can I make the chicken spicier?
A4. Increase the amount of cayenne pepper or add some hot sauce to the flour mixture for an extra kick.
Q5. Can I bake the chicken instead of frying?
A5. While frying gives the classic crispy texture, you can certainly bake the chicken at 375°F (190°C) for about 30-35 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Q6. How long can I store the leftover chicken?
A6. Leftover fried chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven to maintain the crispiness.
Q7. What are some delicious side dishes to serve with Willie Mae’s Chicken?
A7. Some popular choices include mashed potatoes, coleslaw, cornbread, mac and cheese, or collard greens. These sides complement the rich flavors of the fried chicken perfectly.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to put on your apron and get cooking! Enjoy the iconic taste of Willie Mae’s Chicken in the comfort of your own home.