Zingerman’s Coffee Cake is a delicious treat that combines the rich flavors of cinnamon, butter, and sugar in a moist and tender cake. This easy recipe allows you to recreate this famous coffee cake at home, perfect for breakfast or your next brunch gathering. Here is the best easy Zingerman’s Coffee Cake recipe that will have your taste buds singing.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 1 cup sour cream
– 2 large eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
7. Spread half of the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the batter.
8. Spoon the remaining batter over the cinnamon-sugar layer and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top.
9. Bake the coffee cake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Now that you have the recipe, let’s answer some common questions about Zingerman’s Coffee Cake:
1. Can I use a different type of flour in this recipe?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour. However, the texture and taste of the cake may vary slightly.
2. Can I replace the sour cream with yogurt?
Yes, you can substitute an equal amount of plain yogurt for the sour cream. The cake will still turn out moist and delicious.
3. Can I add nuts or fruits to the coffee cake?
Absolutely! Chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, can be sprinkled on top of the cinnamon-sugar layer. You can also add fresh berries or diced apples to the batter before baking for an extra burst of flavor.
4. Can I make this coffee cake in advance?
Yes, you can make the coffee cake a day ahead and store it in an airtight container at room temperature. It will stay moist and flavorful.
5. Can I freeze the coffee cake?
Yes, you can freeze the coffee cake for up to three months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer-safe container.
6. Can I use margarine instead of butter?
While margarine can be used as a substitute, butter provides a richer flavor to the coffee cake.
7. Can I double the recipe to make a larger cake?
Yes, you can double the ingredients to make a larger coffee cake. Adjust the baking time accordingly, as it may take slightly longer to bake.
8. Can I use a different type of pan?
Yes, you can use a bundt pan or a square baking dish instead of a round cake pan. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
9. Can I add a glaze to the coffee cake?
Certainly! You can make a simple glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle it over the cooled coffee cake for an extra touch of sweetness.
Now that you have all the information you need, it’s time to try this easy Zingerman’s Coffee Cake recipe and enjoy a slice of homemade goodness with your favorite cup of coffee.