Best Easy Ziti and Broccoli Recipe
Ziti is a classic Italian pasta dish that is loved by many for its comforting and hearty flavors. When combined with broccoli, it becomes a nutritious and delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy. If you are looking for a simple and tasty ziti recipe with a twist, this easy ziti and broccoli recipe is just what you need.
– 1 pound ziti pasta
– 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon dried basil
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
– 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
2. Cook the ziti pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the broccoli florets to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes, or until they start to soften.
5. Stir in the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
6. Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice) to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
7. In the greased baking dish, combine the cooked ziti pasta with the broccoli and tomato mixture. Mix well to ensure all the pasta is coated.
8. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the pasta.
9. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
11. Serve the ziti and broccoli hot, garnished with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.
Questions and Answers:
1. Can I use a different type of pasta for this recipe?
Yes, you can substitute ziti with any other type of pasta you prefer, such as penne or rigatoni.
2. Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned?
Certainly! If you have fresh tomatoes available, you can dice them and use them instead of canned tomatoes.
3. Is there a way to make this recipe vegetarian?
Absolutely! This recipe is already vegetarian-friendly as it doesn’t include any meat. However, you can add some sautéed mushrooms or bell peppers for extra flavor.
4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can assemble the ziti and broccoli ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just make sure to bake it for a few extra minutes to ensure it is heated through.
5. Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze any leftovers for up to three months. To reheat, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake in a preheated oven until heated through.
6. Can I add some protein to this dish?
Absolutely! You can add cooked chicken or shrimp to this recipe for a protein-packed meal.
7. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried?
Yes, you can use fresh herbs instead of dried. Just double the amount called for in the recipe.
8. Can I use a different type of cheese?
Certainly! Feel free to experiment with different cheeses such as cheddar or Gouda to customize the flavors to your liking.
9. Can I add some red pepper flakes for heat?
Yes, you can add red pepper flakes to the recipe if you prefer a spicier flavor. Just sprinkle them in according to your taste preference.