CABERNET SAUVIGNON POT ROAST
This is a terrific make-ahead dinner for casual entertaining. You can’t overcook it and it won’t suffer if you keep it warm until you’re ready. Choose a subtle, light red wine like a young Syrah or Merlot for the braise. The Cabernet Sauvignon oil will deepen its impact.
|4||lbs||Pot roast, Chuck|
|6||Tbsp||Apres Vin Cabernet Sauvignon grape seed oil|
|0,75||cup||Onion, peeled and roughly chopped|
|2||Tbsp||Garlic, peeled and roughly diced|
|0,50||cup||Celery, scrubbed and cut in 1” pieces|
|0,75||cup||Carrots, scrubbed and cut in 1” pieces|
|8||oz||Red wine (Syrah or Merlot)|
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the Apres Vin Cabernet Sauvignon oil in a large, heavy frying pan until a drop of water sizzles when flicked into the pan. Gently place the pot roast in the frying pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, thyme and bay leaves around the meat in the frying pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a large roasting pan. Scrape all drippings from the frying pan into the roasting pan with a spatula.
- Add the beef stock and red wine to the pan, stirring gently around the meat to dislodge any stuck vegetables. Sprinkle the meat and vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover the roasting pan with foil and put the pan in the preheated oven. Check the roast after 2 ½ hours. The internal temperature should read above 200°F. Reseal the roasting pan with the foil and allow the roast to cook for 1 hour more.
- Transfer the roast from the pan to a cutting board and loosely tent with foil. Transfer the vegetables to a small serving dish with a slotted spoon. Discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the cooking juices into a medium saucepan and heat to boiling. Reduce to 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining Cabernet Sauvignon oil and the balsamic vinegar into the reduced sauce.
- Cut the roast into thick slices and serve over mounds of the vegetable mixture. Drizzle the sauce over the meat and serve.
PREPARATION TIME: 25 minutes
ROASTING TIME: 3 ½ hours
YIELD: serves 6
Preparation time25 minutes
Degree of difficultyNormal
|Only registered users may submit comments, please log in if you want o comment|